• Reviews/Blogging and being grammar nuts

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

I think you're thinking David. I think your right on this one!

>>>>runs

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

LOL fluffs... grrrrr :P

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

I like*

Jeez!

I've had a long day! :P

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

I knew what you meant ;)

Wildcherry [sign in to see picture]

Fluffbags wrote:

No, I am not bothered about people's spelling and grammar. Weird, coming from someone who writes for a living, but to err is human and everyone makes mistakes. I have come across errors in writing from people who write professionally and even copy editors. I don't care. I mean, so long as I understand the point...that's it. It's the message within that i care about and I read a few blogs where the person struggles with little errors here and there, but the message within resonates or educates or....whatever. To me, that is the most important part.

Don't get me wrong, I am also careful to proof-read my writing and run it through spell checks and stuff, but I am 100% sure my writing contains errors and I can only hope people forgive the little mistakes and take away the message. lol When texting, or replying on forums etc, I am not so fussed about double checking my work, which has caused some funny typos!

Maybe that's why I don't mind so much - I am not the best with grammar and know I make mistakes, so when others do, I just think "Well, I have no right to talk" lol.

The only thing that does irritate me slightly, is text speak. Only because it takes longer to understand and yeah...I don't like it much, but whatever floats your boat. If the work was just so badly written and the grammar was so bad that I could not understand the message, then that can suck too.

TBH, grammar Nazi's scare me! I guess I associate it with another way to shame others, you know? "You wrote your instead of you're - omg you suck" As a writer, I really love the idea of more and more people writing....telling their story, especially abour sex (because it sheds away taboos and can help others with confidence and acceptance etc) and I sometimes think new writers can get scared away by real grammar nazi's shouting all over them or making them feel small. As humans, we are always finding ways to hurt or shame others and I sometimes think the grammar nazi thing is a version of this. It is just another way of saying "I'm better than you" and yeah...I don't like it. Mind you, please note I am talking about real grammar nazi's here, who pick on every tiny mistake.....as already mentioned, I can see people having issues with text speak or unreadable type.

Just write....if you make mistakes, fuck it and remember everyone does. Let the message speak for itself instead.

Yes i think to some extent i agree with you Fluff. As long as what you've written gets the point across to the reader it doesn't really matter.

It's just my little niggle with myself i guess and im often subject to typo faries too SleepyCelia no matter how many times i blooming proof read..

I could say it's more of a lack of confidence in myself in what i write as i don't think i have ever really noticed if someone has made a mistake in a review/post/blog entry as i generally just read to understand their points and thoughts.

Ashe66 [sign in to see picture]

As someone who at twenty years old, had to ask a guy from Asia what paragraphs were even for, I can say the "you should have learned it in school" thing puts an ignorant faith in our educational system XD And I did three years of college :P Bad teachers can rob you of ever having a chance of learning something properly, always getting bad teachers is just my bad luck.

However, I never let it get to me, I try my best but ultimately am aware of my limitations, in the past my idea of grammar was a full stop and a capital letter :P But yeah lol, I always go with the fact no one is perfect and have frequently seen grammar nazis being corrected XD In saying that, I do try to learn what I can from people for the sake of bettering my self, I just don't let it rule my life, I have enough skill to get by (I assume anyway XD) and I'm happy with it :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.