• Reviews/Blogging and being grammar nuts

Wildcherry [sign in to see picture]

Ill admit.. Im insane about my grammar and punctuation in everything i write. Its my little OCD and a bit of an irrating thing to have but if it doesnt look right in reviews/posts it takes me days or more to finish until im fully happy.

I have just spotted one in my recent review and its driving me absolutely insane wanting to change it (even though i went over it five times before submitting it last night)!

So is anyone else the same when it comes to reviewing/posting/blogging?

Kohitsuji [sign in to see picture]

I am the same, Wildcherry. You're not the only one hehe

Sum Sub [sign in to see picture]

I too am a bit of a spag nut!
    My personal little annoyance is 'of' instead of 'have' and 'affect'/'effect'
    However in more recent times I find myself caught between 2 schools of thought. Whilst I like to think I'm using spag in its correct sense, I also like the idea that the purpose of language is to convey meaning and if you've done that then you've communicated successfully.
    A lot of communication is made in a hurry now, myself included and I find errors in my own things and also am annoyed by it.

Of course you could always contact live chat and ask them to amend your review.

Im glad im not the only one Kohitsuji hehe :)

Good old affect and effect.. another common one is "definitely" with spelling mistakes and mixed with defiantly. I have a book by Lynne Truss from my college days called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves (my dirty mind immediately thought of something else there haha) that i used to love an swear by for reminders.

I have contiplated contacting them to ammend it Sub, but Im seeing how long the OCD can last and wether i can let it go.. but it just doesnt look right lol.

I read that book too! I don't have it anymore though.
    If i recall there were lots of parodies too

Sum Sub wrote:

I read that book too! I don't have it anymore though.
    If i recall there were lots of parodies too

Yes hehe, lots of little parodies, ;p

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

PinkPolkaDot [sign in to see picture]

I'm sorry, but are you really? Your original post contains quite a few grammatical errors, I don't think you can say you're obsessed about being grammatically correct then don't stick to your own rules.

But yes, it annoys me when people don't take the time to make sure their grammar is correct. 'Your' instead of 'you're', 'their' instead of 'there' and 'should of' instead of 'should have' are my biggest peeves. I don't take people who don't write properly seriously.

I also hate noticing I've made an error in a review, 2 months after it's been published. I just get embarrassed at the thought of people having read that. I proof read everything 5 times before publishing but it's difficult to spot your own mistakes.

PinkPolkaDot wrote:

I'm sorry, but are you really? Your original post contains quite a few grammatical errors, I don't think you can say you're obsessed about being grammatically correct then don't stick to your own rules.

I said if it doesnt look right to me.. and generally im obsessed on wether it looks ok (in the way i think it should) so i guess i can say im obsessed on going over my posts cant i?

Id like to also point out not once have i said all my posts were grammatically correct especially if im posting off my phone, then its usually slap dash but yeh cheers for that i guess..?

PinkPolkaDot [sign in to see picture]

Wildcherry wrote:

PinkPolkaDot wrote:

I said if it doesnt look right to me.. and generally im obsessed on wether it looks ok (in the way i think it should) so i guess i can say im obsessed on going over my posts cant i?

Id like to also point out not once have i said all my posts were grammatically correct especially if im posting off my phone, then its usually slap dash but yeh cheers for that i guess..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you're "obsessed about your grammar and punctuation in everything you write"?

May I propose, before this gets too serious....

*prepares mud wrestling arena*

rogerthechorister [sign in to see picture]

I am a grammar nazi too. My online dating profiles specify that people with bad grammar eschew contact with me!

PinkPolkaDot wrote:

Wildcherry wrote:

PinkPolkaDot wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you're "obsessed about your grammar and punctuation in everything you write"?

I think ive already said this previously in my last post but to quote again.. Im obsessed on wether it looks correct to me (in the way i think it should, wether thats correct or not). So yes i am but i never said i was a god of grammar.

I really didnt make this thread in an aim to attack people on their posting skills, reviews or to jump down throats on what apostrophe should be put where. It was purely a light hearted thread to see if anyone else was as silly as i am.

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

No, I am not bothered about people's spelling and grammar. Weird, coming from someone who writes for a living, but to err is human and everyone makes mistakes. I have come across errors in writing from people who write professionally and even copy editors. I don't care. I mean, so long as I understand the point...that's it. It's the message within that i care about and I read a few blogs where the person struggles with little errors here and there, but the message within resonates or educates or....whatever. To me, that is the most important part.

Don't get me wrong, I am also careful to proof-read my writing and run it through spell checks and stuff, but I am 100% sure my writing contains errors and I can only hope people forgive the little mistakes and take away the message. lol When texting, or replying on forums etc, I am not so fussed about double checking my work, which has caused some funny typos!

Maybe that's why I don't mind so much - I am not the best with grammar and know I make mistakes, so when others do, I just think "Well, I have no right to talk" lol.

The only thing that does irritate me slightly, is text speak. Only because it takes longer to understand and yeah...I don't like it much, but whatever floats your boat. If the work was just so badly written and the grammar was so bad that I could not understand the message, then that can suck too.

TBH, grammar Nazi's scare me! I guess I associate it with another way to shame others, you know? "You wrote your instead of you're - omg you suck" As a writer, I really love the idea of more and more people writing....telling their story, especially abour sex (because it sheds away taboos and can help others with confidence and acceptance etc) and I sometimes think new writers can get scared away by real grammar nazi's shouting all over them or making them feel small. As humans, we are always finding ways to hurt or shame others and I sometimes think the grammar nazi thing is a version of this. It is just another way of saying "I'm better than you" and yeah...I don't like it. Mind you, please note I am talking about real grammar nazi's here, who pick on every tiny mistake.....as already mentioned, I can see people having issues with text speak or unreadable type.

Just write....if you make mistakes, fuck it and remember everyone does. Let the message speak for itself instead.

PurringTiger [sign in to see picture]

Don't get me started on text or leet speak Fluff, I'll be here all day.

The English language is a beautiful thing and when I see it being bastardized so much it really irritates me. I mean come on why write txt instead of text? You save one whole letter!

I can understand when it used to be that texts cost money and you had limited space but it's practically unheard of today to not get free texts whether you pay for monthly or pay as you go.

I do understand that some can take grammar nazi to a whole new level but it's not rocket science to work out which they're, there or their to use. To me that's laziness, we were all taught the basics in school. The only people that have a real excuse are dyslexics (and I know most of them will try harder to get it correct) and people whose first language isn't English as it is one of the hardest to learn. However when it's your first language there should really be no excuse.

My personal gripe is actually people using the word brought instead of bought. You did not brought something from the shop, you bought it. Brought is past tense of bring and bought is past tense of buy.

But I also do agree to an extent that if someone is trying then you can cut them some slack, it doesn't matter whether it is a small punctuation error or an apostrophe in the wrong place or a spelling mistake somewhere. But when it's constant over and over again, that's when it irritates me. I also know that phones are to blame with auto correct a lot these days, flaming annoying when it slips past you after you've sent it ;p

Whilst I kind of agree with you a bit fluffs, I think you ( royal you not you personally) owe it to your readers to write in a fashion that is easily understood. Personal improvement over Laziness and ignorance

sleepycelia [sign in to see picture]

I swear the typo fairies come along and wedge themselves into everything just after I submit a review or press publish, it's so annoying! I was going through some of my reviews on here yesterday and some of them have random capital letters in and all sorts of minor errors that I definitely didn't see when I submitted them, booo.

I'm not fussed by other people's grammar/spelling at all, one of my best friends is dyslexic and finds writing things down really difficult but she's very eloquent in real life. As long as it's not unintelligible then I'm not bothered. The only thing that does annoy me is LOADS OF CAPITAL LETTERS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS FOR NO REASON!!!!!!!!

PurringTiger wrote:

Don't get me started on text or leet speak Fluff, I'll be here all day.

The English language is a beautiful thing and when I see it being bastardized so much it really irritates me. I mean come on why write txt instead of text? You save one whole letter!

I can understand when it used to be that texts cost money and you had limited space but it's practically unheard of today to not get free texts whether you pay for monthly or pay as you go.

I do understand that some can take grammar nazi to a whole new level but it's not rocket science to work out which they're, there or their to use. To me that's laziness, we were all taught the basics in school. The only people that have a real excuse are dyslexics (and I know most of them will try harder to get it correct) and people whose first language isn't English as it is one of the hardest to learn. However when it's your first language there should really be no excuse.

My personal gripe is actually people using the word brought instead of bought. You did not brought something from the shop, you bought it. Brought is past tense of bring and bought is past tense of buy.

But I also do agree to an extent that if someone is trying then you can cut them some slack, it doesn't matter whether it is a small punctuation error or an apostrophe in the wrong place or a spelling mistake somewhere. But when it's constant over and over again, that's when it irritates me. I also know that phones are to blame with auto correct a lot these days, flaming annoying when it slips past you after you've sent it ;p

I bought pizza at the shop, then I brought it home :)
    Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

Sum Sub wrote:

Whilst I kind of agree with you a bit fluffs, I think you ( royal you not you personally) owe it to your readers to write in a fashion that is easily understood. Personal improvement over Laziness and ignorance

I agree yep (As I said above, if it is not understandable then that sucks and yeah, if you do it professionally, you SHOULD be making that effort to make sure it is as correct as possible) However, I do think some take the Grammar Nazi thing to the extreme and pick up on stuff on forums, texts, skype chats and even hobbyist writers. Maybe it's just me personally, but I tend to forgive silly mistakes like misuse of words. (Again, so long as it's understandable) because I just appreciate the words being there and seeing someone else show passion and exhileration and such.

PurringTiger: While I do agree to an extent, I would also put it across that we also learn geography, chemistry, maths and other subjects at school and I don't know about anyone else, but I personally don't remember it all. In fact, subjects that i could not grasp (FUCKING MATHS) just did not sink in and I am useless at it. Now I know I will never be an accountant and would say that if you struggle so badly with english, maybe don't become a writer, but I have to say, in my experience, most grammar nazi attacks are often on writing that is not meant to be professional, like Tweets, texts, friendly chat on Skype and forums etc. So, its kind of like expecting people to be good at english and having remembered every rule....but also remembering every maths rule, every chemistry bond, every geography term etc. For most of us, we just can't be good at everything.

Either that.....or I am too forgiving! :P

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

I have to admit that i'm some what of an ignoramous when it comes to spelling and grammar. I generally like to think that for the most part, I get it right. I do have a habit however, of submitting posts or reviews before i've actually properly proof read them. So far, i've only come across one of my reviews that had a spelling error.

At the end of the day, we all make mistakes, and i'm not going to hold it against anyone if they have made a spelling error.

Unless it's the there, their or they're debate.

Oh and Your and You're.

But other than that, i'm easy going ;)

PurringTiger [sign in to see picture]

@Sub Yes! haha

@Fluffbags Whilst I agree to some extent, the difference is that English language is used in everyday life whereas chemistry, maths, geography aren't unless it's part of your chosen profession.

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.