• Shop 'Til You Drop And Get Free Tracking On All Orders!

order-up-until-5.30pm-same-day-despatch

Some of you may have noticed that we have made some changes to our delivery services to improve shopping and shipping for our UK customers.

You may remember we ran a survey a couple of months ago asking for your feedback on our products and services. From your responses we found that, overall, we seem to be doing a pretty great job across the board (thank you!) but the vast majority of you wanted to feel more in control of your deliveries and be able to track all orders. You also wanted to be able to shop later, and still get same day despatch. You asked... we delivered!!

The last cut off for same day despatch on all orders is now 5:30pm – that's an extra hour and a half of shopping time! This puts us well ahead of our leading competitors who have online cut of times ranging from 2pm to 4pm.

In addition, all deliveries are now traceable, so you can keep an eye on the progress of your delivery at every stage. You'll be sent your tracking information in your usual automated despatch email.

These changes will benefit both you and us for several reasons, and here are just a few:

- No more lost parcels! We can now track your order and find out where it is. In the unlikely event that a parcel should take the "scenic route" to get to you, we can now try to locate it and get the original parcel to you (instead of sending a replacement) saving you time, and us money. (Yippee!)

- More safeplace options! We can now offer a safeplace option on even more deliveries. Unlike the original 'Super Saver' option, the new 'Tracked 48' allows you to leave safeplace instructions for your postie. So even if you're out, your delivery should still be successful.

- Redelivery is quick and easy. If you're out when we try to deliver and we can't leave your package with a neighbour or in a safeplace, Royal Mail will redeliver your parcel for free.

To cover the costs of this improved service, without a price increase on all deliveries, we have had to make a few changes to the minimum spend options for free delivery.

There is still free delivery available on all orders, however the minimum spend for free upgraded delivery has changed. Now you will get an automatic upgrade to the faster 'Tracked 24' service when you spend £50 or more. Special Delivery with a signature is chargeable on all deliveries.

This seems to be the fairest way of us being able to offer you the services you've asked for, without penalising our low spenders. Previously, customers were purposely spending more than the minimum spend just so they could get tracked delivery. Now, with the new delivery options, this is no longer necessary so we're hoping this change in prices won't affect too many people.

You'll notice that the charge for the service itself has stayed unchanged at £3.95 meaning that anyone who doesn’t want to spend £50 but would like to choose a faster delivery service doesn’t have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Overall, we think the new services are a big improvement, we hope you'll agree! We still offer a faster and cheaper delivery service than any of our competitors.

Thanks to all of you who gave us your honest feedback. It helps us make you happy, which makes us happy!

Free tracking on every UK delivery

• Scorpius12: June 26, 2013 15:28
      Fantansic LH. Really appreciate the 'up to 5.30pm' Same Day Despatch. Your service has always been the best, but you’re now way ahead of the competition!
    • Mrs Average: June 27, 2013 07:31
      Well done Lovehoney, great improvements on the the service which was fab anyway. I don't think I'll be using the leave with your neighbour option as most of my neighbours are out when I am and the others I'm not aquainted with enough and don't want to lots of explaining. I do wish there were an option to get parcles delivered straight to the post office cooection point bye passing home delivery, as I'm rarely in when they deliver anyway, and when I am in the kids get all excited and ask what it is. They must think I'm very worried about running out of computer ink cartridges lol.
    • MrsMcX: June 27, 2013 09:53
      I love the added additions, and I don't mind the hike in price as I like to bulk buy each month or two so it does come to quite an amount.

The only thing I'm sad about is that you have to pay for next day delivery and there isn't an option for getting it free if you spend over a certain amount. It means that this month, the things I'm buying come to a higher total that I spent last month, but I can't have the next day delivery without having to pay. That makes me feel a little sad, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Lovehoney - Alice: June 27, 2013 12:52
      Hi MrsMcX,

I was thinking about this yesterday and weighing up what I thought about the change as well. Here's my ponderings...

Pros:
      - 95% of tracked parcels still arrive the next day.
      - Don't need to be in to give a signature.
      - Able to nominate a safeplace so parcel doesn't need to be taken back to the depot, with resulting 24 hour minimum wait and aggro.
      - 90 minutes extra shopping time.

Cons:
      - Not 100% guaranteed to arrive the next day (though Royal Mail does indeed sometimes fail despite the supposed guarantee!)

For me personally, I would find Tracked a better option 99% of the time and in the 1% of the time I need it the VERY NEXT DAY I would be happy to pay the extra as it's a special service.

Overall, I thought what Neal (one of the Co-Founders of Lovehoney) said on Twitter was very apt, especially in relation to this. He was asked what he thought the biggest customer service challenge of online retailing was and he said:

"Keeping up with raised expectations while managing costs - same day delivery, timed delivery, etc..."

Delivery services by everyone have increased ridiculously in price (I nearly had a heart attack the last time I posted something first class) so something has to give and this impacts the fewest people while still giving great service as standard.

• John: June 27, 2013 17:06
      I think you do a great job...its good too know i can come home after work and still treat myself to something the next day...
    • MrsMcX: June 27, 2013 19:02
      Hi LH Alice,

Thanks for your comments. Now that it's been in pros and cons I can see how better it seems.

I think it's exceptional that LH has any free delivery options, considering the cost it must be to yourselves, and the fact that other online retailers very rarely has this feature.

I think I'm just narked because my first class post has never once come the next day, obviously that isn't LH's fault, so I loved the next day delivery option. Especially when payday comes on a Friday, and waiting for packages over the weekend is an awful feeling! However, if the majority of your customers are receiving their post the following day by ordering first class, then from a business point of view I fully understand why these options have been put in place, and as you say, if its that urgent then I will pay extra to have it the following day.

Just out of interest, how does your warehouse dispatch your orders? Does a big Royal Mail can come and collect at certain points of the day?
      I'm just wondering if orders placed early on in the day are more likely to turn up the next day via first class mail, or would it be exactly the same if you order just before your new final cut off point of 5.30pm (which is fab!!!).

Thanks for the reassurance :)

• Lovehoney - Alice: June 28, 2013 09:28
      Hi MrsMcX,

Hope the comments were helpful - we'd had the exact same conversation about the pros and cons in the office so it's been at the forefront of our minds!

I don't work in the warehouse myself, but this is how it's been explained to me (and how I've seen it work when I've been down lending a hand):

The orders are picked and packed and placed into sealed Royal Mail containers that are divided up into geographical regions (which is why we can't go back and pull out your order to change an address or cancel it if it's already been packed - a lot of people seem to think there's a little pile by the back door and we can just rummage through and find it, but it's not like that at all!).

A Royal Mail van comes at lunchtime, and another just after the order cut off time. The van then tootles off to the big sorting centre in Bristol, from which the parcels are unloaded according to their geographical regions and then then travel overnight to another big sorting centre and onwards to home addresses.

It's partly because we do this pre-sorting geographically at LH HQ that our parcels arrive so much faster. They don't have a few hours of delay in the depot while Royal Mail do it - the parcels go straight into the regional lorries and start their journey.

Obviously deliveries to places like the far end of Cornwall or the North of Scotland may take a bit longer.

So, theoretically, there are a few extra hours to get the parcels moving if it's collected before lunchtime. In practice though, I think a lot of the main parcel movement happens in the wee small hours.

Couriers and overseas deliveries, I don't know about though!

Unlike a lot of other online companies, we make it a priority to have super-fast dispatch. If that means we have to call in staff from the office, managers - even the directors themselves - to lend a hand, then we do. Getting the orders out the same day is wherever possible is the top priority.

Hope that's a bit of an insight into the workings here!

• MrsMcX: June 28, 2013 13:34
      Ohh I didn't realise that you arranged them geographically! I bet that's a massive help for orders arriving on time, since its affectivly doing part of Royal Mails job, at a more efficient rate as well, more than likely ;)

Placed an order this this morning and saved a whopping £25 which has made me even happier!!!

Thanks LH!

• Kinkyfuckery: June 28, 2013 19:43
      As always you conitue to offer fabulous service