An accident waiting to happen: 10 things removed from rectums in A&E

Chris Gordon, in his Book of Weird Sex, lists some of the bizarre curiosities removed from the male rectum: here are 10 of the most interesting!

I suspect every A&E department has witnessed its share of extraordinary items that patients have unfortunately ‘sat on by accident’. Here's 10 listed in Chris Gordon's Book of Weird Sex...

a pair of spectacles,

a hard-boiled egg

a tea cup

a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup

a frozen pig’s tail

a microwave egg boiler (not in the same back passage as the egg)

a sand-filled inner bicycle tube

a torch

a frozen fish...

... and a pepper pot labelled ‘A present from Margate’

The Greatest Sex Tips in the WorldRefreshingly frank and funny, actress and presenter Julie Peasgood delivers practical information to transform your sex life. The Greatest Sex Tips in the World explores the world of eroticism, revealing secrets and techniques that will energise and enhance your enjoyment.

• Ecksvie: March 14, 2010 18:32
      Funnily enough I was reading some funny facts like this today. Apparently English and Welsh men are twice as likely to be admitted to hospital due to something stuck up their bum than being struck by lightning, and 1.5% of domestic accidents are caused by large penises.
    • lesley: March 17, 2010 07:47
      I'm smiling... Though I'm sure the unfortunate people involved wouldn't be amused in the slightest. Very very embarrassing going to A&E with any of them but "a frozen pigs tail??". Not to mention dangerous!!!
    • humiliated: March 17, 2010 19:29
      It's a lot easier than you may think! I had the unfortunate experience of losing an anal sex toy, with one change in position it disapeared out of reach. The less funny part is I had to have surgery and came close to losing a large section of my bowel and ending up with a temporary colostomy bag. I wasn't doing anything with it that it wasn't made for!

Be warned!!! All of my toys are now in the bin.

• graham: March 18, 2010 09:49
      I lost a LARGE butt plug up my bum recently,all i did was change positio slightly.I was panic stricken-A&E was racing through my mind,such embarrassment! Two good pushes and the flimsy base appeared,i grabbed it.By pushing and pulling i got the damned thing out.What a relief,my heart was pounding.Butt plug now gone to the local tip !!!!
    • Mirri: March 18, 2010 20:43
      Thanks for adding a warning that sex toys meant for anal use should have a large, flared base to this scare story...oh wait. >.>
    • hornyBB: March 19, 2010 21:32
      OMG! I always thouhght that toys with a flared base were safe...
    • graham: March 20, 2010 08:14
      More info on That offending buttplug - it had an 8inch circumference,the base was a butterfly shape (two tabs ) and made of avery plyable rubber .Beware-avoid at all costs.I now use a 2.5 inch dia. smooth shafted dildo,balls and suctioncup attached.well recommended and very safe !!!
    • lesley: March 20, 2010 11:23
      Hi im mainly addressing the poor person (humiliated) who ended up with bowl surgery, very sorry to hear it. .. Its good that you are warning poeple to be careful.