• How to Use a Pussy Pump

The purpose of a pussy pump is to create a vacuum over the labia and/or clitoris which will in turn make the tissue swell, encouraging more blood to flow and making the skin much more sensitive. Whether you use a pussy pump alone or with a partner, the unique sensations and gorgeously puffy appearance are sure to be a fantastic turn on.

Pumping your pussy will leave it feeling ultra-sensitive and every touch, tingle and vibration will be heightened. This is perfect if you have trouble orgasming and ideal if you're looking for something new to spice up your bedroom activities.

1. To watch videos, you need Version 9 or greater of the Flash Player. Click here to see which Flash Version you have. If you have Version 8 or less, get the latest Flash Player here".

You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Product featured: Doc Johnson Pussy Pump (£21.99)

How to Use a Pussy Pump

1. Lubricate the outside edge of the pussy pump using a water-based lube; this will help to create an air-tight seal.

2.Ensure that the quick-release valve, located beneath the pump bulb, is closed and only allowing air out, not in.

3. Press the pussy pump chamber against the desired area - some pumps fit over the entire vulva, others are designed for just the clit - making sure that you achieve a firm seal.

4.Keeping one hand on the pump chamber, compress the pump bulb until you feel suction.

5. Release the bulb and check the seal against your skin. The pump chamber should be held in place via suction only and it should not come away from the skin unless specifically pulled. If it has not yet sealed against your skin, continue to hold it in place and keep pumping!

6.Continue compressing and releasing the bulb of the pussy pump until you can feel and see your labia swelling in the chamber. It will feel a little strange at first, but it should not feel painful.

7. Once your skin is pressing against the chamber, you will find it hard to pump any further - this is the maximum you will be able to pump to.

Clitoral Pussy Pump8. Press the quick release valve below the bulb and allow air to enter the chamber.

9. Gently remove the pussy pump and enjoy the beautifully swollen, excitingly engorged look and amazing feel to your clitoris and vulva!

"I have never tried a pussy pump before... I enjoyed pumping and, while it was in the vacuum the area felt very good, it made me feel very horny. The orgasm I had afterwards was very different to those I've been used to - more tingly and I was left with a lot of heightened sensation for some time afterwards - which for me was great."

A few safety points to remember:

If you find you are experiencing any discomfort - stop pumping! It will feel a little strange at first but it should not cause any actual pain.

Do not over pump. Pumping to the maximum limit will lead to injury and possible damage to the pussy pump too.

Sex and masturbation are fine after pumping but remember to use lubricant - the vacuum sensation can cause dryness!

Most of all - have fun!

Like what you read? Join Lovehoney's newsletter for exclusive offers, tips and inspiration!
    1. We send 2-3 emails per week. We never share your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Need more help?

You can Contact Customer Care, who will be able to help you find the perfect pussy pump. You can email, telephone or live chat to an experienced advisor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The other great place to look for people's advice on pumps is on the Lovehoney Forum, where our community is on hand to give their opinions and tips.

Contact Lovehoney Customer Care | Visit The Lovehoney Forum

You may also like

• Rita: November 08, 2009 20:23
      after using a pussy pump how long after does your labia goes back to normal and also do you use lubercation around the seal before you use it?? please if you can answer my 2 questions i have before i purchase one..thank you
    • LoveHoney - Carly: November 09, 2009 09:25
      Hi Rita,
      It depends how long you pump for! An average time to pump would be around 5 to 10 minutes, allowing you about 20 - 30 minutes of fun before your labia go back to their normal size and shape. However, the longer you pump for, the longer the effect lasts!

For the tightest fit, we highly recommend using lubricant around the seal to make it adhere to your body better. This gives you maximum suction and optimum comfort!

We hope this helps.

• Jeff: January 29, 2010 12:32
      I purchased the Doc johnson pump for my wife. We pumped with it for an hour or two last night and nothing happened. Her pussy swelled up in cup but nothing when released. Do we need to pump and realease or do we need to pump it and hold it ?????? Pls help
    • LoveHoney - Carly: January 29, 2010 13:37
      Hi Jeff,

What are you trying to acheive with your pussy pump? I'm not quite sure of the problem but hopefully I'll be able to help!
    • jeff: January 29, 2010 13:44
      Thanks for responding so quick were just tring to get it to swell up like all the pic we've seen. But like I said we pumped for over an hour last night and nothing.and her pussy is feeling the cup completly up!
    • LoveHoney - Carly: January 29, 2010 15:57
      Hi Jeff,

If your partner is already filling the cup of the pussy pump *before* you have started pumping, then there won't be enough room for her body to expand inside it. You will probably need something with a slightly larger cup.

Alternatively, if she is filling the cup *during* pumping, but her body isn't remaining swollen after you remove the cup, you may not be acheiving an effective seal for the suction to work fully.

Ensure that the cup is firmly and fully pressed against the skin so no air can escape, use lubricant around the edge of the pump to improve the seal and keep holding it against her body during pumping. You will know if it has worked properly because you should be able to remove your hand from the cup of the pump and it will stay in place using suction alone.

Hope this information helps!
    • jeff: January 29, 2010 17:20
      Ok we will try that! But last night it was staying in place by its self. She is filling it up during pumping. Do we need to spread her lips and try that way?????It just wouldn't stay swollen last night and we did use a lot of lube on her and the pump? Feel really stupid right now. Not being able to get this pumping thing down!!!! Thanks for helping us!!!!
    • LoveHoney - Carly: February 01, 2010 14:25
      Hi Jeff,

It may just be that your partner's anatomy isn't designed for pussy pumping. Different people react in different ways to certain stimulus and whilst some might be able to acheive optimum engorgement, others can't. It's nothing to worry about and our 365 day return policy allows you to exchange your product for something else which might work better: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/returns-policy/

You might also like to make sure that you're not over-pumping. Once your partner's body has reached maximum engorgement it can only go one way - which is back down! Pump for around 5 - 10 minutes the first time, then remove the cup and have a look. If you want more, pump for a further 5 - 10 minutes. This way you can monitor exactly what your partner's body is doing too.
    • Jeff: February 01, 2010 15:07
      When u say pump for 5-10 mins do u mean pump it up and release back and forth for that time or just pump it up and leave it for 10 mins ???? Thanks for all advive!!
    • LoveHoney - Carly: February 01, 2010 16:29
      Hi Jeff,

You're more than welcome!

It's best to pump it up for 5 - 10 minutes, then release the air, remove the cup from your partner's body and take a look. If you notice that her body stays engorged once you remove the cup, then you can reapply it and pump again. This way you can judge what pumping times work best.

If not, try the other way! Place the cup on her body, pump for 10 minutes, leave it in place for a further 10 minutes, then see what happens when you remove it. It's kind of a case of 'suck-it-and-see' with pussy pumps as everyone reacts differently!
    • sk: March 03, 2010 01:48
      Do the lips get saggy after using this pump for the first time OR over long time use??
    • LoveHoney - Carly: March 03, 2010 08:48
      Hi Sk,

Human skin is very stretchy and has it's own natural version of elasticity. When you use a pussy pump, the skin will stretch and engorge to it's maximum potential but afterwards it will quickly go back to the normal size.

The only time you ever hear of sagging is when a pump has been excessively used (say, 3 or 4 times a day, every day) but otherwise your body will maintain it's natural shape.

Remember, keep moisturised, use lubricant and don't over-pump! Everything should be fine!

• J: April 04, 2010 15:03
      I was having the same problem as Jeff. I would pump her and she would only fill the cup when full suction was achieved. I left it on for about 5 to 10 minutes and her pussy went right back down without any real engorgement. Should we keep it on for 15 or 20 minutes? We want to achieve that THICK JIGGLY look!

Thanks!

• Blue: April 10, 2010 00:25
      Hi,
      we've just used the Doc Johnson pussy pump for the first time and the only advice we have is to keep trying.

It took a few attempts to get it right, and the key seemed to be to get yourself/partner in the right position before starting otherwise the pump would draw one side and not seal the other.

I held my lips slightly apart so my clit was exposed and he lubed me - but don't use too much or the cup slides off! He placed the cup centrally and held it firmly in place while I started to pump.

For the first few attempts over about 20 minutes I only gently squeezed the bulb so I could feel a gentle tugging. I thought I was just 'training' but the look on his face told another story. I had almost filled the cup and apparently the view was out of this world. We tried to take pics but the hideous pink (my only complaint) colour wasn't very good for that.

After about 10 mins we released the suction and he said although the lips weren't engorged my clit was. After we both had a play with it, we put the cup back on and again it took a few attempts to get it seated right and to maintain suction.

This time I was able to pump quite hard and my lips and exposed clit completely filled the cup and it remained sealed. We left it on for about 20/30 minutes - lost track of time - while he amused himself elsewhere on my body.

By this time I needed to.... I needed to feel something inside me, so I released the suction and this time lips and clit were engorged and stayed that way during what happened next.

All I will say is MIND BLOWING - more so if you bring a cold glass toy to the party - and I am so glad we kept at it. In fact, you have to excuse me, I'm off to have another go.......

• Chris: May 13, 2010 15:33
      Hi,

Some great hints and tips on your site, thankyou. My wife and I had trouble finding a good how-to guide elsewhere and so we should now be able to get on with second "practical" attempt :)

So, on to my question:

Can you buy different cups to fit the don Johnson pink pussy pump without buying a whole new one?

Thanks very much

• Dozza: June 08, 2010 09:25
      Hi,

My partner and I purchased a pump a few weeks back and during our fourth/fifth use of it my partner said she felt a painful pop. After releasing the vacuum her right labia was swollen and sore with a hard lump running along the inside edge of her labia. The next day the swelling had reduced somewhat; however the area had turned purple but the pain had receded. It is now the second day after the incident and during the day the pain and swelling has returned and so has the hard lump. Does this require medical attention or will it go away? You mentioned that misuse can cause injury, what exactly are the possible injuries?

Thankyou, your help is appreciated.

• Jjj: June 27, 2010 21:58
      I used it on my nob

• a: July 23, 2010 19:20
      Can you use a pussy pump with a coil [contraceptive] or will the pump cause it to move out of place
    • mick: September 26, 2010 19:38
      we bought a pussy pump and enjoy using it but do you sell different size cyclinders i've seen in several films they use long cyclinders that look about 4 inches wide that engorge the pussy very nice
    • Marion: January 18, 2011 14:26
      I hope someone can help me,

Me and my partner have recently purchased the pussy pump. We tried it out the other night during a pirate pussy roleplay fantasy sesh. Having used the pump for over 7 hours solid during the session, and now my genitalia has swelled to NEW DIMENSIONS!
      It wont go down :(
      its been completely pouted and puffy for 4 days now.
      this is extremely uncomfortable when i'm trying to work, garden, go tabbogoning etc.
      and someone pleeeeaaase dont suggest the 'rub in honey and butter' method. All it did was make it taste delicious, but alas no reduction in the swelling.

Please help.

• AEP: January 29, 2011 23:09
      Hi There,

I also tried the pussy pump with my partner earlier this week. It was a fun sex session because toys always add to the fun. but we did have some difficulties.

Although my pussy was swelling to fit the cup, when the cup was removed my pussy returned to normal. So I was reading your blog and noticed maybe I didnt seal it properly. So today I used Lube, the cup would stay without me holding it, and again nothing.

Are there better products to use out there for "pussy pumping"? Honestly money is not an issue when it comes to the toys I purchase for bed. I just want to ensure I didnt purchase an inferioe product.

Also... is it better to use the pump with a fully/freshly waxed/shaved pubic area? I was wondering if the fact that I have slight stubble may be the problem.

I look forward to your reply. With Thanks.

• matt: March 22, 2011 04:28
      hi, my boyfriend and I have been wanting to experiment with anal pumping for ages now, and we were wondering if a pussy-pump would work on the butt?

• alyssa: April 26, 2011 13:34
      I used the pump last night for the first time and pumped non stop for 15 minutes. It has been about 8 hours and my vagina still has not gone down!!! when will I go back to normal???!
    • Krystal robinson: May 22, 2011 01:41
      for some reason I put the pump on I am a big girl i have a fat pussy already but i put the pump on and i can only pump 3 times then i fill the cup do I leave the cup on for a while for my pussy to swell or do u take it off right after your pussy fills the cup
    • Emma: May 24, 2011 13:15
      I'm curious about buying one however i'm quite concerned because i've got piercings down there and wouldn't want the vacuum to rip them out...also i've got tattoos on my pubic mound and don't want them getting stretched- does it cover the pubic mound at all or just the vagina?
    • Jw: May 24, 2011 13:42
      We have had better luck with a cock pump on her pussy.
    • doesn't matter: June 05, 2011 08:12
      to all you not succeeding, the inner labia needs to be closed so it only pumps the outside lips and not the internal walls of the vagina.
    • Anna: January 24, 2012 00:46
      Hi,
      do I need to shave all around or hairs do not disturb to get the vacuum?
    • Ziomek: February 28, 2012 12:31
      Is it safe to use during pregnancy ?
    • shawn: March 12, 2012 13:18
      After reading some comments I would like to add that not all pump models have the same effect. We have 4 different types of pumps and must say the shallower type of pumps don't give that desired look that everyone sees in pics. one that has the best effect is the one that looks like a deep oxygen mask works best , but may cause some uncomfort around the groin area as u pump. Reposition it and keep trying. And enjoy but don't over indulge
    • kb: April 18, 2012 19:36
      Hi. I bought a pump and I was curious to know if its normal for you to bleed after you use it?
    • SD: October 19, 2012 15:58
      I was wondering if it is possible for the chamber to be to long for the vagina.I bought one but no matter were it is positioned part of it is not over the vagina, making it impossible to make a seal
    • Lovehoney Nicole: October 19, 2012 17:17
      Hi kb and SD, I would encourage you both to contact our customer care team on 0800-011-6899 or email them here https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/contact-us/

They will be able to offer further advice and information.

-Nicole

• John: February 03, 2013 09:37
      I bought the pussy pump for my girlfriend and when we used it for the first time everything was going well till we removed the pump at which point not only were here lips not swollen they were blue.is this normal or are we doing something wrong? She didnt complain of any pain. Can someone please help. Thanks
    • Jeff: February 11, 2013 22:14
      We are considering buying the doc Johnson pussy pump however my wife has the contraceptive coil and we are worried that this may cause it to move and make it ineffective. please would you kindly advise if we are wise to use one with this kind of contraception. Thx
    • Jeff: February 11, 2013 22:16
    • Doug: March 07, 2013 19:17
      I recently bought the Doc Johnson pump and tried it twice with my wife. She has complained about pain both times. She pumped the first time and I pumped for her second. The seal was good both times. Never got more than about half full in the cup. What could be causing pain? Would really like to get positive results but pain isn't for us.
    • Doug: March 07, 2013 19:33
    • Doug: March 07, 2013 19:33
    • kelly: March 11, 2013 21:51
      My bulb has stopped inflating if I attach it to pump as soon as I detach it is fine whyyy :-(
    • kelly: March 11, 2013 21:59
      Also I pump three times am I doing something wrong or is it just to small,would love to pump and pump for fifteen mins but not happening?!?
    • kelly: March 11, 2013 22:02
      Also haha it says check the quick release valve is letting air out and not in...how? Thanks :-)
    • ankita baheti: April 24, 2013 11:04
      i want that pump, please let me know how can i purchase it from you, give me your address and contact number as i am lesbian too. my contact number is 9969304888
    • Tip: May 17, 2013 16:15
      Advice on how to use a pussy pump
    • J: March 12, 2014 18:28
      Gosh!!!! Me and my girlfriend bought the first doc Johnson it DIDNT work....the people said it probably was because my pussy was too small....well we gave it another try and bought the small pink one....I was SOOO happy in the store....well we got home and I used it...It was shaved, lubed, and suctioned.....IMMMM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!! All I want is it to work.....COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!???? I need it to work,..,I hav two very new pussy pumps and can't get one to work...;((
    • J: March 12, 2014 18:33
    • SB: March 21, 2014 13:57
      I cannot get it to seal completely. It does seal then when it pump, it works. but it seems to have a slow leak somewhere. It will not stay in place by itself. Am I not placing it correctly and does hair vs no hair make a difference?